Faculty Resources

Faculty Resources

Faculty Guide to Student Disability Related Accommodations:

Frequently Asked Questions

  • What happens when a student self-discloses a disability and requests an accommodation(s)?

    • Request a Letter of Accommodation (LOA) from the student. The student can provide it to you in-person or send it to you through R’Ability. If the student does not have one, refer them to SDRC.
    • If presented with medical documentation regarding a disability, including chronic health issues, please do not take it. Instead, redirect the student and their documentation to SDRC.

  • What do I do when I receive an email from SDRC ( about viewing a Letter of Accommodation?

    • Go to the R’Ability Faculty Portal (, select your course to find the list of students
    • Review the PDF Letter for each student and then click acknowledge/submit receipt of Letter of Accommodation
    • Allow approved accommodations to happen in your course (i.e., recording lectures, use of a computer to type notes, etc.)
    • Contact SDRC if you have any questions regarding any accommodation (
    • Refer the student back to SDRC if they are requesting a disability-related accommodation that does not appear in the Letter of Accommodation

  • What other email notices might I receive about accommodations and what action do I need to take?

    Emails about accommodations for tests, exams and/or finals:

    • 9 days prior to exam – faculty receive an email requesting confirmation of exam details in R’Ability, if confirmation is not received, a reminder email will go out 2 days later. 
    • 5 days prior to exam – the R’Ability exam confirmation portal closes. 
      • If exam confirmation is submitted via R'Ability  – faculty receive an email requesting to provide exam materials 1 day before exam to or to the SDRC/Academic Support Center at 1213 Student Service Building
      • If exam proctoring instructions are not submitted via R'Ability, the exam proctoring appointment with the ASC will be cancelled.  The faculty and student will be notified of the ASC exam appointment cancellation, and that the faculty will provide the exam accommodations.  SDRC is available to consult by calling 951-827-3861 or email at

    Emails requesting a note taker – you will receive an email, which contains a sample announcement to request a volunteer note taker. All you have to do is make the announcement to the class, that’s it!

  • What is the best way to refer student to the Student Disability Resource Center (SDRC)?

    • The best way to refer students is via email ( A SDRC staff member will follow up with the student directly.

  • Do you have a sample syllabi statement I could use?

    • Yes:
    “UC Riverside is committed to providing equal access to learning opportunities to students with documented disabilities. To ensure access to this class, and your program, please contact the Student Disability Resource Center (SDRC) to engage in a confidential conversation about the process for requesting accommodations in the classroom. More information can be found on If you are a student registered with the SDRC, please ensure you request your quarterly accommodations through“

  • Can faculty proctor exams with accommodations?

    Yes.  Faculty may proctor exams with accommodations, as long as the accommodation is being provided as intended.  Faculty are encouraged to consult with SDRC if they have questions about exam proctoring. 

  • How are accommodations approved?

    Accommodations are determined after critical analysis of a student's disability-related needs, the University's programs and curricula, and the University's legal obligations under the Americans with Disabilities Act, as amended (ADA AA), and Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act. 

    Students meet with a Disability Specialist who is trained in interpreting medical information, and identify reasonable accommodations aimed and providing the student access to the academic material, and access to demonstrate what they know.  

  • Student Privacy

    It is essential to maintain the privacy of students with disabilities (SWD); please do not disclose information about a student's disability, accommodations, or similar information to third parties without written permission from the student. 

    Accommodation provision information may be shared when necessary, for the coordination or provision of accommodations. 

  • Can I share with the TA that a student receives accommodations?

    If the TA of your course supervises the learning of students, the TA should be made aware of approved accommodations.

  • Who can requests accommodations for a student?

    Accommodations are a student driven process, so any request must be initiated by the student. 

  • How do I increase accessibility in an online course?
    • If you have specific questions about a student needing accessible course material, please contact
    • Universal Design increases accessibility and learning for all students
    • Distance Learning Faculty Resources are available at here.  
  • What resources are available for students with regards to online classes?

    Students with disabilities may request disability related accommodations at Student Disability Resource Center.  If the student is approved for accommodations, a Letter of Accommodation may be provided to the faculty (if the student is wishing to have access to accommodations in that course).  If you have questions about a Letter of Accommodation and how the accommodations apply to your online course, please contact

Apply for Services

 Apply for Services
Learn what you will need and how to apply.

 Volunteer Note Taker Information
Help a student with a Disability by sharing your course notes

Academic Support Center

 Academic Support Center
These valuable services let you focus on learning

Most Common Accommodations and Definitions

  • Computer Use for Note Taking/Assignments
    • Student may use their personal device for note taking
    • Student may use their personal device (laptop) for in class written assignments
  • Audio Record Lectures for Personal Use
    • Student may use their own device to record lectures/discussions for personal use ONLY
    • Recordings are not a substitute for attendance
  • Peer Note-Sharing
    • A note-sharing announcement will be emailed to the course instructor with information on recruiting a note taker
    • Faculty will receive one (1) note taker announcement per student in the course requesting a note taker
    • Note sharing is not a substitute for attendance
    • If you believe that this accommodations does not apply to your course, please contact for guidance
  • Peer Note Sharing and ONLINE Courses
    • Video/Audio Recorded and captioned lectures, decrease the need for a Peer Note Taker
    • Having the ability to pause, re-play, adjust volume, and/or read the lecture material improves accessibility and learning for all
    • Some students may still need access to a note taker due to functional limitations in the areas of writing/typing
    • Please contact for guidance if you believe a note taker is not necessary in your online course
  • E-Text for Course Materials

    Electronic version of textbooks and other course materials for accessibility.  If possible, selecting textbooks that have an electronic version available, allows the student to purchase the text accessible to them.  When an e-version is not available, SDRC can assist in identifying alternatives.  Please provide accessible, electronic versions of course readers and course materials

  • Accessible Furniture

    Student makes the request with SDRC, furniture is place in the classroom

  • FM System

    The FM system consists of a transmitter microphone used by the speaker (such as the course instructor) and the receiver is used by the SWD

  • Medical Disability Related Absence Agreement