textHelp Read&WriteRead&Write is literacy software that is designed to assist anyone who has a learning disability or vision issues, or those having difficulty with reading and writing. Read&Write is available as software, an app, and even a browser extension. With Read&Write installed, students can listen to any passage (documents and webpages) with a line-by-line text-to-speech option or with a screenshot reader; or if they want to listen later, they can make an MP3 of the passage using the Audiomaker feature.
To support understanding and comprehension, users can decode words in a passage using either a dictionary or picture dictionary. It also has a translator option to support understanding of foreign language words, as well as vocabulary builders. The Read&Write software provides individuals with a customizable toolbar that can be used with common applications.
- Text-to-speech integration with Microsoft Word and other applications
- Improve reading comprehension: hear web pages and documents read aloud with a choice of natural voices
- Help students understand unfamiliar words with text and picture dictionaries
- Develop writing skills and confidence with word prediction and a grammar, spelling and confusable words checker
- Support homework and independent research with study skills tools
- Turn documents and web pages into MP3 files for easy listening on the move
- Accessibility features like screen masking give extra support to students with dyslexia and other literacy challenges
The text-to-speech options can be used for students to listen to longer passages instead of reading them—improving listening comprehension and allowing students to engage both auditory and visual senses. Students can use the Read&Write toolbar to underline passages they find important on a website or while using iPad apps, or record voice notes as they browse.
As students read a passage, they can use four different highlighters to note important information. The highlights can then be collected and gathered onto another document for safekeeping and reading by the text software. Students can practice reading aloud by highlighting a passage and then selecting the Practice Reading Aloud button. This prompts them to record themselves reading the text and use other features.
If writing is students' focus, but they struggle with motor skills or have other issues, Read&Write offers a Talk&Type feature. With this feature, students can dictate their writing. In addition to composing paragraphs or essays, students can create a voice note for later review. A prediction feature helps students along while they're writing, offering suggested words.