Please check the Health, Well-being, & Safety homepage or the Student Affairs homepage for hours, student service offerings, and contact methods.

The Student Disability Resource Center (SDRC) is open during regular business hours, Monday-Friday, from 8:00am-5:00pm (except for University Holidays and Closures, and periodic department training/in-service events). The SDRC may be reached at 951-827-3861 or If you need to register for services, please visit this webpage. If you would like to request an appointment with a disability specialist, please go to the Appointment Request Form. If you plan to come to the SDRC offices or Testing Center (at Student Services Building), please read this information before you go.

The SDRC Offices will be closed on Tuesday, April 2, 2024, from 8:00am - 2:00pm.  SDRC staff will be participating in a department in-service training during this time. The SDRC Offices will be open 2:00pm - 5:00pm that day.

A student in a wheelchair reads books in a library aisle.

Information for Families

Postsecondary education is a totally different experience from high school. Your student will have responsibilities at the university that they didn’t have in high school. The resources on this page can help you and your student navigate their education at UCR.

  • Frequently Asked Questions

    Is there a special admissions process for students with disabilities?
    No. There is no special application process for students with disabilities and students are not required to disclose their disability during the admissions process.
    How does my student register with the Student Disability Resource Center?
    Once the student has been admitted to UCR and paid their Statement of Intent to Register (SIR) fee they may visit the Incoming/Admitted Students with Disabilities webpage for instructions on how to register. 
    Will my student receive the same accommodations and services that he/she received in high school?
    Some accommodations may remain the same and others may change since postsecondary education is a totally different arena. Almost everything about the postsecondary system is different from what you have experienced previously. This includes how college may address your student’s needs for accessing its educational program and the information it needs to accomplish this. For additional information on students with disabilities and preparing for postsecondary education, visit this webpage from the U.S. Department of Education. 
    When can we find out what accommodations my student is eligible for?
    After completing the Online Pre-Registration and submitting Disability Documentation, the student must schedule an intake appointment at SDRC by calling (951) 827-3861 to meet with a disability specialist. During that meeting, appropriate and reasonable accommodations may be identified and an accommodations plan may be developed.
    What types of documentations does the Student Disability Resource Center require?
    Disability documentation guidelines and forms for different types of disability are available on our Disability Documentation webpage. SDRC requires recent and relevant diagnostic information that supports the accommodations being requested. Please visit the SDRC Disability Documentation webpage to get specific information on the appropriate documentation for the disability(s). The IEP is a K–12 document that might provide the disability specialist with background information on what was provided in that environment, but may not have enough information to provide academic accommodations in the college environment.
    Can I call my student’s Student Disability Resource Center specialist to check in?
    You are welcome to contact the SDRC to share concern for your student. However, UCR is an adult learning environment and your student is protected under FERPA, we will refer you back to your student if you have questions. When a student reaches 18 years of age or attends a postsecondary institution, they becomes a “eligible student” and all rights under FERPA transfer to the student.
    Does the Student Disability Resource Center provide medication management?
    No. Your student will need to manage and administer their own medications. UCR does not have a facility on campus to dispense a student’s medications.
    Who helps my student with educational goals and course planning?
    Educational goals are determined by each student in consultation with their academic department and academic adviser. Students arrange their own class schedules and enroll for classes online.
    My student needs a specially designed laptop. Does the Student Disability Resource Center provide this?
    UCR is responsible for ensuring that programs and activities are accessible to students with disabilities. If this means that physical modifications are needed such as a raised desk or lowered laboratory table, then the university takes care of that. Special equipment of a personal nature is not paid for by the university. However, the distinctions between modified equipment for accessibility and personal special equipment can vary so it is always best for students to discuss their concerns with SDRC. If your student is a client of Department of Vocational Rehabilitation (DOR), they should be discussing these issues with their DOR counselor as well.
    What is a "reasonable accommodation"?
    A reasonable accommodation provides access to the curriculum or the classroom by reducing barriers to access without fundamentally altering the curriculum or program. A reasonable accommodation does not guarantee success, but does provide an equal opportunity to be successful or not.
    Does the Student Disability Resource Center provide tutoring?
    SDRC does not provide tutoring. UCR provides learning and writing resources at the Academic Resource Center that are available to all students on campus. Because of federal guidelines, colleges are not mandated to provide tutorial services to ensure access to their educational programs.
    My student has an injury and lives just off campus. Can the Student Disability Resource Center provide them transportation to work and classes?
    Transportation Services, in collaboration with SDRC, provides on-campus mobility services. Please visit the mobility transport services webpage to schedule rides.
    My student needs additional time on their placement exams. Can this be arranged before school starts?
    Your student will have an opportunity to request accommodations when you register for the MAE placement exam. Please submit your disability documentation. Provisional accommodations for the MAE may be approved with SAT or ACT accommodations approval letters, IEP, or 504 that was implemented from your previous school. A disability specialist will follow up with you regarding your provisional accommodations for the placement exam.

    Does my student automatically qualify for a housing accommodation by being registered with the Student Disability Resource Center?
    No.  Accommodations are unique to each student and based upon disability documentation, the interactive process and the student’s functional limitations.  The student must engage in the SDRC registration process and be approved for housing accommodations.
    Will the Student Disability Resource Center provide a Personal Care Attendance (PCA) or classroom aide for my student like they received in high school? 
    No. However, UCR does permit students with disabilities who have a documented need for assistance with activities of daily living and/or nursing care to retain the services of a Personal Care Attendant (PCA). A student who requires a PCA is responsible for making arrangements in providing for their own personal attendant. The university does not assume coordination or financial responsibilities PCA services. Classroom aids are not provided, nor permitted.
    Will my student’s speech therapy and counseling continue as stated on their IEP?
    UCR does not provide speech therapy for students. Students requiring speech therapy after high school will need to work with a speech therapist in the community at the students’ expense. UCR does provide short-term counseling services that are voluntary and available through Counseling & Psychological Services. Students needing long-term counseling will be directed to local service providers and will require the use of student health insurance, personal/family or other insurance, or will need to be paid for out of pocket.

  • Steps to Register with SDRC for Disability Related Accommodations
    1. Complete Online Pre-Registration: Go to the R’Ability website and log into the Student Portal. Select the Online Pre-Registration to complete the online pre-registration and upload appropriate disability documentation.
    2. Make an Appointment with the SDRC: Call (951) 827-3861 and schedule an informational or intake appointment with a disability specialist. Please Note: If disability/medical documentation has not been received by the appointment time, approval of accommodations may be delayed.
    3. Meet with a Disability Specialist at the SDRC for an intake or informational appointment to:
      • Discuss the accommodations or services being requested. This is an individualized process meant to identify appropriate and reasonable accommodations for the current educational environment.
      • Review and discuss disability documentation, and determine if additional documentation is needed.
      • Develop a plan for reasonable accommodations.
      • Sign the Academic Accommodations Agreement form.
      • Learn how to request access to approved accommodations.

    Accommodations requests are reviewed using the interactive process, and are approved on a case by case basis. Accommodations approved are based on the current program of study, and may not apply to certain programs of study, or transfer to other institutions. That being said, accommodations approved at other institutions are not transferable.

    For questions about admissions, please contact Undergraduate Admissions directly.