Please check the Health, Well-being, & Safety homepage or the Student Affairs homepage for hours, student service offerings, and contact methods.

The Student Disability Resource Center (SDRC) is open during regular business hours, Monday-Friday, from 8:00am-5:00pm (except for University Holidays and Closures, and periodic department training/in-service events). The SDRC may be reached at 951-827-3861 or If you need to register for services, please visit this webpage. If you would like to request an appointment with a disability specialist, please go to the Appointment Request Form. If you plan to come to the SDRC offices or Testing Center (at Student Services Building), please read this information before you go.

The SDRC Offices will be closed on Tuesday, April 2, 2024, from 8:00am - 2:00pm.  SDRC staff will be participating in a department in-service training during this time. The SDRC Offices will be open 2:00pm - 5:00pm that day.

A student carries a stack of binders in front of a cloudy sky and a rainbow.


Expectations: How College Differs —
Making the Transition from High School a Success

Both college and the services available to you differ in important ways from what you may be accustomed to in high school. How you obtain services, apply for them, and the responsibility placed on you may well be different than what you are familiar with. Please read all the sections on this page as the excellent booklet provided by the U.S. Department of Education available in English or Spanish at our office: "Students with Disabilities Preparing for Post-Secondary Education: Know Your Rights and Responsibilities." If you are entering college for the first time, it is important to understand what to expect from the Student Disability Resource Center, other student services offices, as well as faculty, staff, and yourself.


Important Differences Between High School and College


  • What are the differences?

    As you may know, the laws applying to students with disabilities at the college level are different from those applying to grades K–12. In high school, you received services under IDEA or Section 504; these were typically spelled out in an IEP or 504 Plan. At the university, the Americans with Disabilities Act, as well as Section 504, protect you from discrimination based on your disability.

    Services at the university level are provided to give you equitable access to an education rather than to guarantee that you will learn or achieve success. While we provide many services that will help you to compensate for the effects of your disability, the university does not change its academic requirements to accommodate itself to you as your high school may have done.

    Also, you may or may not receive the same services provided to you in high school. You will be responsible for completing all of the same work as any other student, but perhaps in a way that works better for you. The process for obtaining accommodations for your disability will differ too.

  • Who's responsible?

    A most important difference is that you — not your parents, professors, or the university — are responsible for identifying yourself as a student with a disability, requesting services, making best use of those services, or even choosing not to use services. Your parents are not involved in this process, unless you specifically request this in writing.

    In addition to obtaining services, you will be responsible for scheduling your classes, making sure that assignments are completed, and meeting with instructors and teaching assistants when necessary. SDRC staff and other student services departments, especially the Student Affairs area of your college and major, can be helpful while you are learning to navigate the university system.

  • College Costs

    Another difference is that college costs, including fees, books, and room and board, are the responsibility of you or your family. Financial aid in the form of grants, loans, or work-study may be available. In some cases, the State Department of Rehabilitation may provide financial assistance. Contact the campus Financial Aid office or local department of rehabilitation office, well in advance of attending college.

  • Personal Services

    The university does not provide personal services or individually prescribed devices as your high school may have done. Personal services include assistance with bathing, grooming, food preparation, housekeeping, orientation, mobility, and the like. You or your family will be responsible for obtaining and funding these services, perhaps with assistance from the County Department of Social Services. Individually prescribed devices include hearing aids, glasses, braces, wheelchairs, other mobility devices, etc. Your family's health insurance or the State Department of Rehabilitation may be able to help pay these expenses.

  • Obtaining Services at UCR

    When you submit your Statement of Intent to Register (SIR), or if you are a continuing student, please contact the SDRC at (951) 827-3861 no later than two weeks before you will need services.

    You will be asked to complete a pre-registration form on R'Ability to provide applicable documentation for your disability, and you will need to schedule a meeting with a disability specialist. Review the  Checklist for Requesting Services for more information.

    SDRC staff will review your documentation and may need to ask you for additional information in order to assure that you will receive appropriate services. 

    After accommodations are approved, you will be referred to other SDRC staff member(s) who will help you with arrangements for services.

  • Be Prepared

    You will probably find your first few weeks at college confusing and stressful. Your classmates will feel the same way — even without the added burden of arranging for services and adjusting to life with a disability in this new environment. Soon, however, all of this will seem comfortable, and you will find yourself the expert, perhaps helping someone else.

  • Additional Resources

    The brochure "Students with Disabilities Preparing for Post-secondary Education: Know Your Rights and Responsibilities" (Revised Sept. 2011) is available online or from the U.S. Department of Education, Office for Civil Rights (order information below).

    To order copies from the U.S. Department of Education:
    You may send an e-mail request to:
    Or, call toll-free: (800) 872-5327, or (877) 576-7734 (TTY)
    Or order online: 
    Or view the brochure online at:


Apply for Services

 Apply for Services
Learn what you will need and how to apply.

 Volunteer Note Taker Information
Help a student with a disability by sharing your course notes

Academic Support Center

 SDRC Testing Center
These valuable services let you focus on learning