University of California, RiversideUCR

Information for Parents   


UCR Art Building 

Information for Parents

Postsecondary education is a totally different experience from high school. Your student will have responsibilities at the university that they didn’t have in high school. Listed below are some resources to help you navigate at UCR. 

Frequently Asked Questions

Is there a special admissions process for students with disabilities?
No. There is no special application process for students with disabilities and students are not required to disclose their disability during the admissions process.
How does my student register with the Student Disability Resource Center?
Once the student has been admitted to UCR and paid their Statement of Intent to Register (SIR) fee they may contact our office at (951) 827-4538 or by email at specserv@ucr.edu to initiate the registration process which includes providing disability documentation and  scheduling an appointment with a disability specialist to discuss appropriate academic accommodations.
Will my student receive the same accommodations and services that he/she received in high school?
Some accommodations may remain the same, and other may change since Postsecondary education is a totally different arena. Almost everything about the postsecondary system is different from what you have experienced previously. This includes how college may address your student’s needs for accessing its educational program and the information it needs to accomplish this.
When can we find out what accommodations my student is eligible for?
The student must make an appointment at SSD by calling (951) 827-4538 or emailing the office at Specserv@ucr.edu. The documentation provided by the student and the interactive process with the disability specialist will determine the functional limitations that accommodations will address in the higher education environment.
What types of documentations does the Student Disability Resource Center require?
SSD requires recent documentation of a disability. This can be obtained by having the student’s health care professional or mental health care provider fill out forms available on the SSD website, or by a recent psycho-educational assessment. Please see our website for documentation guidelines. The IEP is a K-12 document that might provide the disability specialist with background information, but may not have enough information to provide academic accommodations in the college environment.
Can I call my student’s Student Disability Resource Center specialist to check in?
You are welcome to contact the SSD if you have concern for your student’s safety or well-being. Otherwise, since we are an adult learning environment and your student is protected under FERPA, we will refer you back to your student. FERPA, the Family Education Rights and Protection Act, generally prohibits the improper disclosure of personally identifiable information derived from education records without written consent. When a student reaches 18 years of age or attends a postsecondary institution, he or she becomes an “eligible student,” and all rights under FERPA transfer to the student.
Does the Student Disability Resource Center provide medication management?
No. Your student will need to manage and administer their own medications. UCR does not have a facility on campus to dispense student’s medications.
Who helps my student with educational goals and course planning?
Educational goals are determined by each student in consultation with their academic department and academic adviser. Students arrange their own class schedules and enroll for classes online.
My student needs a specially designed laptop. Does the Student Disability Resource Center provide this?
The college is responsible for ensuring that their programs and activities are accessible to students with disabilities. If this means that physical modifications are needed such as a raised desk or lowered laboratory table, then the college takes care of that. Special equipment of a personal nature is not paid for by a college. However, the distinctions between modified equipment for accessibility and personal special equipment can vary so it is always best to discuss their issues with the SSD. If your student is a client of Department of Vocational Rehabilitation (DOR), they should be discussing these issues with their DOR counselor as well.
What is a ‘reasonable accommodation’?
A reasonable accommodation provides access to the curriculum or the classroom by reducing barriers to access without fundamentally altering the curriculum or program. A reasonable accommodation does not guarantee success, but does provide an equal opportunity to be successful or not.
Does the Student Disability Resource Center provide tutoring?
SSD does not provide tutoring. UCR provides learning and writing resources that are available to all students on campus. Because of Federal guidelines, colleges are not mandated to provide tutorial services to ensure access to their educational programs.
My student has an injury and lives just off campus. Can the Student Disability Resource Center provide them transportation to work and classes?
Transportation & Parking Services (TAPS), in collaboration with Student Special Services and Human Resources Disability Management, provides transport services for mobility impaired students, faculty, staff, and UCR guests who either have a temporary or permanent disability.  Please use this link http://parking.ucr.edu/mobility/services.html for more information.
My student needs additional time on their placement exams. Can this be arranged before school starts?
Your student must provide documentation and begin the registration process with SSD, and be approved for the requested accommodation prior to scheduling a placement exam date.
Please use this link http://placementtest.ucr.edu/ to find contact information and available dates for the various placement exams.  Students must request accommodations when scheduling their placement exams.
Does my student automatically qualify for a housing accommodation by being registered with the Student Disability Resource Center?
Accommodations are unique to each student and based upon disability documentation, the interactive process and the student’s functional limitations. Notify Housing Services of your housing needs as soon as possible.
Will the Student Disability Resource Center provide an aide for my student like they received in high school?
A student who requires personal attendant services is responsible for making arrangements in providing for his/her own personal attendant. The University does not assume coordination or financial responsibilities for personal attendant services.
Will my student’s speech therapy and counseling continue as stated on their IEP?
UCR does not provide speech therapy for students. Students requiring speech therapy after high school will need to work with a speech therapist in the community at the students’ expense. UCR does provide short-term counseling services that are voluntary and available through the UCR Counseling Center.

Open Letter to Parents of Students with Disabilities About to Enter College

Differences between High School & College Provision of ADAAA Mandated Accommodations

Handbook for Parents of Students with Disabilities

More Information

General Campus Information

University of California, Riverside
900 University Ave.
Riverside, CA92521
Tel: (951) 827-1012

Department Information

Student Disability Resource Center
125 Costo Hall

Tel: 951-827-3861
Fax: 951-827-4218
E-mail: sdrc@ucr.edu

Related Links