Apply For Services
Checklist for Requesting Services
The Checklist for Requesting Services describes each step for obtaining services at UCR. You should familiarize yourself with this process as soon as you have decided to attend UCR in order to ensure that your services are in place at the beginning of your first quarter. Please remember, a written, signed request for accommodation and applicable documentation, such as a physician's certification, are necessary when making a request for accommodations. Students in need of temporary services should contact the Services for Students with Disabilities Administrative Office at (951) 827-4538. Below you will find the guidelines, forms and handbooks you will need.
The University is not required to provide accommodations that result in a fundamental alteration of the program of instruction.
Students with Learning Disabilities, ADHD, Acquired Brain Injury or Psychological Disabilities should contact the Learning, Neurological and Psychological Disabilities Specialist to discuss accommodations and applicable documentation. Students are required to provide current documentation of a disability to the SSD office prior to receiving academic accommodations.
University of California guidelines identify specific requirements for documentation of learning disabilities, ADHD and related disabilities. Academic accommodations are determined, in part, by diagnostic recommendations identified in disability documentation.
Please note: UCR does not provide testing for Learning Disabilities or ADHD.
In order to receive academic accommodations in a timely fashion, students are requested to complete SSD forms according to established policies. Before each quarter begins, students complete SSD request forms that identify individual classes in which the student wishes to receive academic accommodations. Upon completion and submission of forms to SSD, letters to faculty are prepared that identify the accommodations each student is eligible to receive.
Incoming students are encouraged to review Expectations: How College Differs.
1. Receive notification of admission to UCR and complete the (SIR) Statement of Intent to Register.
2. Self-identify as a student with a qualified disability to the Services for Students with Disabilities Office (SSD) in 125 Costo Hall, Phone 951-827-4538 at least (2) weeks prior to the start of the quarter for which services are being requested.
3. Submit documentation of your disability to SSD (see documentation guidelines) and complete the form "Student Data Sheet & Request for Accommodations".
4. Meet with your Disability Specialist to discuss documentation, current functional limitations in the educational environment and possible accommodations.
5. The SSD staff will review your documentation to determine if further information is needed and recommend accommodations based on the documentation provided.
6. Once accommodations are approved through SSD, meet with your Disability Specialist to review accommodations provided, sign the Academic Accommodation Agreement and complete an orientation to services.